Nearly One Third of Workers’ Comp Claims in Michigan Caused by Slips and Falls on Ice and Snow
Lansing, Mich. – During last year’s difficult winter, slips and falls on ice and snow accounted for nearly one third of all workers’ compensation claims in Michigan that resulted in lost time from work, according to Accident Fund Insurance Company of America.
Winter-related slips and falls claims doubled in 2013-2014 over the previous year, representing 32 percent of all Michigan workers’ compensation claims.
“These claims have a significant negative impact on American businesses each year, resulting in time off work, temporary employee costs, overtime for existing employees and increased insurance costs,” said Mike Britt, president of Accident Fund Insurance Company of America. “To avoid these costs this winter, employers need to be extra vigilant and employees should exercise extreme caution in the months ahead. Although we can’t change the weather, we can do much more to prepare and keep workers safe, beginning with some common-sense reminders.”
Tips for Winter Safety and New Campaign for Employers
To help avoid injury when walking on ice and snow, Accident Fund offers simple tips:
- Walk slowly and deliberately and wear boots or other slip-resistant footwear
- Be prepared for black ice formation after melting occurs
- Exercise caution when getting in and out of vehicles
- Watch for slippery floors when entering buildings
- Avoid carrying items, keep hands empty so arms are free to move for stabilization – use backpacks if possible
Along with this advice and to provide even greater slip and fall protection this winter, loss prevention experts from Accident Fund launched their annual safety campaign this month. Beginning with snow and ice removal plans, the campaign addresses everything from proper salting and shoveling techniques to the importance of wearing the right footwear, and gives employers the resources and ideas necessary to create a campaign to help reduce costly workplace accidents.
Employers are offered a host of resources, including:
- Winter weather preparedness plan guidelines
- Ideas for proper snow removal procedures and equipment
- Employee safety campaign materials
- Weather communications suggestions
- Recommendations for signs and barriers
- Regular maintenance reminders
For more information, visit http://www.accidentfund.com/safe/.
About Accident Fund Holdings
Accident Fund Holdings, Inc. (Lansing, Mich.) and its subsidiaries are one of the largest workers’ compensation insurers and the largest non-governmental specialty writer of workers’ compensation insurance in the United States. Accident Fund Holdings conducts business through its four brands: Accident Fund, United Heartland, CompWest and Third Coast Underwriters.
Accident Fund Holdings’ insurance company subsidiaries are rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best.