Seven Safety Stocking Stuffers
Search the Library
On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me – a first-aid kit, flashlight and batteries!
Stumped on stocking stuffers this year? Consider the gift of safety. The Accident Fund Loss Control team has prepared a list of home and vehicle safety items for every friend and loved one on your list.
- Reflective vest – Keep one in the car for emergency tire changes or roadside stops. We recommend a class two reflective vest (fluorescent yellow-green or orange) for high visibility.
- First-aid kit – Consider one for the home and vehicle. Look for kits with the necessary medical supplies to treat burns, cuts and abrasions, stings, splinters and strains and sprains.
- Flashlight (with batteries!) – Look for an LED weatherproof and shock-resistant model. While so many of us rely on our cell phones as flashlights, a true flashlight is best in an emergency; it reserves cell phone battery for calls, texts and navigation.
- Reflective triangle – Keep a three-pack of day and night hazard triangles in each vehicle for emergency roadside stops.
- Safety glasses – We recommend ANSI Z87 polarized, anti-fog safety glasses for the home – used when operating power tools and gardening equipment – and a pair in the glove box for roadside emergencies.
- Fire extinguisher – An ABC-rated fire extinguisher should be available in each home and ideally each vehicle.
- Carbon monoxide detector – Known as the silent and invisible killer, carbon monoxide (CO) doesn’t present with an odor, color or taste. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector outside every bedroom.
Contact your Accident Fund loss control consultant for additional recommendations. And don’t forget to visit our S.A.F.E. (Slip and Fall Elimination) campaign page for great information and materials on preventing winter-related injuries. We wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday season!
Share this resource:
URL coppied to clipboard.
Or send it directly to someone via our email form: